GEN 499 AU Importance of Critical Thinking Skills Discussion
- January 15, 2022/ Business Essay
Prepare: Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, in preparation for discussing the importance of critical thinking skills,
Read the articles
- Common Misconceptions of Critical Thinking
- Combating Fake News in the Digital Age
- 6 Critical Thinking Skills You Need to Master Now (Links to an external site.)
- Teaching and Learning in a Post-Truth world: It’s Time for Schools to Upgrade and Reinvest in Media Literacy Lessons
- Critical Thinking and the Challenges of Internet (Links to an external site.)
Watch the videos
- Fake News: Part 1 (Links to an external site.)
- Critical Thinking (Links to an external site.)
Review the resources
- Critical Thinking Skills (Links to an external site.)
- Valuable Intellectual Traits (Links to an external site.)
- Critical Thinking Web (Links to an external site.)
Reflect: Reflect on the characteristics of a critical thinker. Critical thinking gets you involved in a dialogue with the ideas you read from others in this class. To be a critical thinker, you need to be able to summarize, analyze, hypothesize, and evaluate new information that you encounter.
Write: For this discussion, you will address the following prompts. Keep in mind that the article or video you’ve chosen should not be about critical thinking, but should be about someone making a statement, claim, or argument related to your Final Paper topic. One source should demonstrate good critical thinking skills and the other source should demonstrate the lack or absence of critical thinking skills. Personal examples should not be used.
- Explain at least five elements of critical thinking that you found in the reading material.
- Search the Internet, media, or the Ashford University Library, and find an example in which good critical thinking skills are being demonstrated by the author or speaker. Summarize the content and explain why you think it demonstrates good critical thinking skills.
- Search the Internet, media, or the Ashford University Library, and find an example in which the author or speaker lacks good critical thinking skills. Summarize the content and explain why you think it demonstrates the absence of good, critical thinking skills.